Thursday, September 26, 2013

New Set of 2 Ikea Gorm Shelving Units Soft Wood , Multi-use

New Set of 2 Ikea Gorm Shelving Units Soft Wood , Multi-useI have the 3-section version of Gorm, which uses 2 single-section shelf units joined by another set of shelf pieces in between. In this configuration, there are 48 screws. Of the 48, four split the wood of the shelf pieces. I used these for my son's toys, which are not heavy, so I accepted this flaw, but I would not load up these shelves with anything heavier.

Holes are pre-drilled, but they're not precisely located in the place that they should be. I wonder if this contributed to the splitting problem.

Assembly by one person is tricky, especially in the 3-section version. The one-section version, as seen in this product offering, would be easy enough.

I would also say that these shelves definitely need front-to-back stabilization, and there is none provided. The included "x"-braces in the back are for lateral stabilization and are called Observator (five dollars for each "x" at i k e a). I'll be buying 2 extra sets of these and fastening them to each side.

I don't recommend these shelves. There are cheaper steel or metal shelves at your local big-box hardware/home store. You won't get the same square-footage of storage per dollar, but you won't face the problems with splitting of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment