Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Poundex Corner Shelf, Cappuccino

Poundex Corner Shelf, CappuccinoHeavy weight shelf for corner of room. Much more robust than you'd think from the Amazon photo. At first, I thought the price was high for a corner shelf. I was wrong. This shelf is very hefty.

The distance between shelves is 13 inches. The distance of the bottom shelf back (corner) to front is 17 inches. The second from bottom is 15 inches, and so on.

I put it together in about 50 minutes with one person (me), not two as recommended in the instructions.

The instructions say to attach it to the wall; it has wall anchor straps and even dry sheetrock wall plastic "hangers". I did not damage my wall with the hardware, I just set it firmly in the corner and it leans back, not front, by design, so it does not appear that it'd fall forward unless some little kid was to try to climb it. I have no little kids here.

Like all shelves, I put the heavier items on the bottom. I have no sense that the shelf will buckle or bend, even if used for books, which is what I am doing in sort of a fan shape on the shelves. It is sturdy enough for books. I recently bought and reviewed a three shelf Ore bookcase Ore International 3 Tier Bookshelves Espresso that costs the same as this corner shelf. Although the Ore will hold more books, this Poundex corner shelf is better made.

The Poundex cherry is red and cherry color (rather than brown cherry, as many spray painted Chinese pieces can be). I do not whiff the lousy cheap shellac smell that ruins much cheap furniture (like the Ore).

I bought the Poundex corner shelf based on the five star Amazon reviews, and now I have added my own. Thanks a bunch.

We had an awful time putting this together. Directions clear as mud. Neither Screws or t nuts would tighten. Pre drilled holes were misalaigned, it takes at least two people to get this together(knees and backs are still smarting.) making this 10 times worse than your standard IKEA assembly. Perhaps we just got dud, as we haven't had trouble with previous assemblies. This piece of garbage is currently "put together" and at least standing. It's going in the basement to hold hold garden tools. Not worth the hassel of packing up and returning. Save your money, buy a better peice of furniture.

Buy Poundex Corner Shelf, Cappuccino Now

I, like others, was impressed by the quality of the wood and design, but the product fell short on assembly. First, I was short four pegs, two wooden caps, and one wood screw. Secondly, a few holes were not pre-drilled all the way through, and four were not drilled at all. I had to triple check that I was assembling the item correctly, but the instructions are easy to follow so I broke out some tools and drilled out the holes. Once assembly is near complete, you have an assembled top and bottom piece. The top nearly aligned perfectly with the bottom, but not quite. You can't tell from the front though. Lastly, a few caps didn't fit snugly over the screw holes, and I had to add a little of the wood glue to each one. All in all, nice looking, but I would not buy again.

Read Best Reviews of Poundex Corner Shelf, Cappuccino Here

We just received this shelf and I love it. It was very easy to put together and is very pretty. This was exactly what we were looking for.

Want Poundex Corner Shelf, Cappuccino Discount?

My first one was missing one of the leg pieces. This wasn't immediately obvious because it did have four legs -but one of them was an extra part "C" instead of the required part "D". Amazon overnighted a replacement unit and that one was okay. Both of them were missing the washers listed in the instructions, but you only need those if you're anchoring it to the wall and they should be easy to get at a hardware store.

Note that the assembly involves glue (included), so once it's together it doesn't come apart.

The part identification stickers do not peel off cleanly, so you might want to have some sort of adhesive remover handy.

I was able to put it together by myself, I think in less than an hour. It can be a bit awkward to get the first bolts in place so an extra pair of hands would probably help. I didn't have any problem with misaligned holes. The peg holes in the shelves were much tighter than the ones in the legs, and that was the same in both units so it's probably by design.

The undersides of the shelves are not finished as nicely as the tops, so if you're putting this somewhere that people can see it from below, such as on a staircase landing, that might be a concern.

Overall, once it's together it's a pretty nice shelf. It looks good and it's very sturdy.

Save 50% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment