Friday, February 14, 2014

Gorilla Rack GRZR6-3618-5IMP 5-Shelf 36-by-18-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, White

Gorilla Rack GRZR6-3618-5IMP 5-Shelf 36-by-18-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, WhiteI've grown to love Gorilla Racks more and more, as the plastic shelving I also bought sagged under heavy loads, finally becoming useless, while the Gorilla Racks hung tough.

But they're ugly/industrial looking. However, these white ones look OK in the house. They're identical to other Gorilla Racks except for the color, but the color makes all the difference. And their whiteness helps brighten up a room.

I filled a wall in my wife's sewing room with three of these racks. They look good and they're tough enough to keep your anvil collection in them (just kidding)(mostly). After assembling a bunch of these by myself, it's easy to bang them together. Once you remember not to put in the verticals upside down, and learn to juggle their delicate balance at certain points in the assembly. But I'm not particularly strong, and I did it just fine. You need a rubber-headed mallet (a few bucks at any hardware store) and not much else. The little doohickeys for linking several racks together turned out to be useful.

And if you need to they're also easy to dissassemble. They are heavy. But nothing strong isn't. And if you plan to stow anything substantial on your racks, these really are worth the small amount extra you'll pay compare to flimsy plastic ones.

I purchased this shelving unit to go in my laundry room/pantry to hold extra supplies for my home. This is my second Gorilla Rack product and once again I am very pleased. The overall assembly is simple enough becuase the only tool you need is a rubber mallet. Some of the pieces however were a little tricky to get into place due to the powdercoat finish making the fit tight. The only other minor complaint I would have is that this product is advertised as white, but it is more of an eggshell or off-white color. Overall this Gorilla Rack is a high quality product that holds a lot of stuff!

Buy Gorilla Rack GRZR6-3618-5IMP 5-Shelf 36-by-18-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, White Now

Put it in baby's room to hold toys, totes full of baby clothes/burp cloths, and baby food supplies. I haven't put together a 'concealed post' shelf together before; i should have looked at the directions first, or at least noticed the extra pieces, but it went together very well, and I love it. Baby doesn't crawl yet, so I have yet to see if he can manage to hurt himself on it. Only thing I'm concerned about is if he crawls onto the bottom shelf, then tries to stand up. the beam going across might not feel so good on the back of his head...

Some reviewer's mentioned that it was hard to pound the beams in... I have 5 other gorilla shelves that's not this fancy white concealed post version... and I think that the difficulty was the same. (except I finally bought a decent rubber mallet, so this shelf was actually probably easier.)

I'm not concerned about this but perhaps you would be... some of the laminant came off on the edges of some of the shelves... kind of flaked off from being jostled around in the box.

Read Best Reviews of Gorilla Rack GRZR6-3618-5IMP 5-Shelf 36-by-18-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, White Here

I own many Gorilla Rack products, and they have always been amazing--sturdy, heavy duty, and easy to assemble. I was interested in seeing this rack, with the concealed keyholes, for possible use in a pantry. I guessed they would have taken a normal Gorilla Rack and added steel to conceal the holes--wrong.

The way these are made is they have taken much thinner steel and folded it over onto itself to hide the keyholes. The corrugation of the steel is what gives it strength, instead of thick steel like in their other products. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see this--it is a serious dilution of the Gorilla Rack brand. Based solely on this, I would have returned these racks.

I did try to assemble one of them, and discovered that the white powder coating had been applied way too thick on the buttons on the z-bar, so when I tried to install the z-bar into the upright, it just tore the keyhole out (the profile of the button should be a "T" shape--these have little to no relief under the head of the button, and therefore can't possibly fit into the narrow part of the keyhole).

Read that last sentence again--the steel in the upright actually bent and tore, with minimal tapping from a rubber mallet on the z-bar. That should give you an idea of how flimsy this rack is. If you've ever used another Gorilla Rack, you will know that you'd need a sledge and some serious metal tools to tear the steel in the uprights.

These are on their way back, and I'm sticking with their traditional (strong) line.

If it weren't for the manufacturing defects, I might give two stars. If they were not called Gorilla Rack, maybe three. But within that brand, these are a serious departure and disappointment.

Want Gorilla Rack GRZR6-3618-5IMP 5-Shelf 36-by-18-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, White Discount?

I will make this review short and sweet.

The pieces arrive exactly as described. You only need a rubber mallet and several brain cells to put it together. It holds so much that you will kick yourself for not ordering it sooner.

If you're still undecided, you really don't need a great shelf after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment