Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ameriwood 48-Inch Cabinet

Ameriwood 48-Inch CabinetFor the price, I would have expected better. Now, that's not to say it's a bad product. The instructions were okay, and the end result looks good and it looks good and feels durable. However, there were several items that discouraged me with it.

The door handles look cheap and are painted industrial grey. I ended up going to the hardware store and buying some nice cabinet handles for less than $20 that look much better. For looks, if this were purely a cabinet for your garage, it looks great! However, since I wanted it inside my house, I expected a little more from the hardware that came with it.

The latch hardware is cheap and barely works.

The lock hardware works. However, because I didn't need a lock, I ended up using a closet door finger pull to plug the hole fashionably, and to match the new handles I installed.

The twist lock cams are a little odd and more difficult to work with than I have experienced with other RTA products.

The sliding shelf itself is too narrow for the slot, resulting in it being insecure once you install it with the drawer slides. I ended up adding three washers on one side of the shelf where the slide attaches, and that fixed the problem.

I do have to say the leveling legs on the bottom work great and were easy to install. I also like the flexibility of shelf placement within the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment