Saturday, July 26, 2014

Quick - Shelf Hangers Overhead Ceiling Mount Storage Unit

Quick - Shelf Hangers Overhead Ceiling Mount Storage UnitOkay, I bought these because of the great price and reviews. They were quick to install, but I was really upset by the conflicting or incomplete technical data provided.

On the "Technical Data" portion of the product page, it states that these units can have up to 1,400 lbs capacity. It also states that these units have an overall size of 24-1/2" deep X 19" tall X board length (They recommend 10 ft max for 3/4" thick wood).

Well when you open up the installation instructions, it clearly states that the maximum recommended span is 3 feet for normal duty and for light loading, 4 feet is permissible. This is not what was advertized on the product page and makes a big difference on what can be stored. Also, after you install a 3/4" board, you are only left with space for items that are 16" tall or less. I guess if you only screw in the "lag eye screws" in half way, you might get something that is 19" tall into the unit, but this would definately give you less weight capacity.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the spec difference until I had installed two of the three units I purchased (my bad). I use 8 foot spans on my installation. I am going to leave them up, but I will only be able to use them for light storage which is not what I intended them for.

I am totally dissapointed by the inaccurate or conflicting technical capacity specs. I have always received excellent products from Amazon and their vendors. I really feel let down and taken advantage of by this product's vendor and possibly Amazon's complicity.

When I first saw a picture and the low price of this shelving unit, I was skeptical that it would be sturdy enough for my purposes, but after reading the other reviews I decided to take a chance and order a couple of them and I am glad I did. Please understand that the actual shelf is not provided, (which I knew before ordering the units), just the wire and screw eye anchors are provided which is a good idea due to shipping problems with a 2x8 foot board! You must purchase the plywood locally and have it cut for you, which I found was not a problem. The screw anchors are very substantial and require some muscle to screw them in, but they are strong! Installation was simple, but it does take some time to properly locate and mark the drilling locations for the overhead beams if they are covered by sheet-rock. I had to use an electronic stud finder for this part of the installation. Once the holes were drilled for the screw eyes the next step is to screw in them in and this takes some muscle to do it. Before installing the plywood shelf, check that all eye-bolts are even using a level. Adjustment is done by screwing the eye-bolts in or out a bit .Slipping the hooked hangers over the screw eyes takes just seconds and then you are ready to slide the plywood into place which also done easily and quickly, (even more so with some help!). The last step is to attach the little metal tie-down straps that fit over the wires and then screw fastened to the plywood. This is a little tedious, but not difficult. Keep in mind that the thickness and quality of the plywood you buy will determine the stiffness and safety of your overhead shelf. Also make sure you are installing the screw-eye bolts into the wood beams and not just into the sheet-rock (which is not strong enough for even a light load). If you are installing above your garage door, make sure you have sufficient clearance when the garage door is fully open (that is up)!

If installed properly, this shelving unit works great, just like the picture shows. I highly recommend it!

Buy Quick - Shelf Hangers Overhead Ceiling Mount Storage Unit Now

Very sturdy considering one just hooks the supports in place, then add your own shelving. I used 3/4" CDX, and seems to be fine.

Read Best Reviews of Quick - Shelf Hangers Overhead Ceiling Mount Storage Unit Here

These went up very fast and make some great storage in the garage. I was definitely glad I had a socket to use to install them instead of turning them in with a screwdriver!!

Want Quick - Shelf Hangers Overhead Ceiling Mount Storage Unit Discount?

It would be hard to find a simpler or less expensive shelf system.

No instructions of any kind came with the units but they are so simple that just about anyone should be able to figure it out. Hole spacing for the screw eyes isn't very critical, no problem if you need to move one 1/4" to avoid a nail. It's definitely easier to use the ratchet method rather than a screwdriver to install the screw eyes, especially near a wall. I don't own any 1 1/8" sockets but I was able to borrow one from my employer. It was 12-points rather than the recommended 6-point socket but worked fine on all but one of the screw eyes, which slipped.

The Quick-Shelf web site says that the hangers can safely support 600 lb. per stack but they don't recommend that much weight if the ceiling is 2x4 trusses. You can get spare hardware on their site.

One limitation is that if you want to store long items (e.g. lumber) you need to insert it from the end. Installation in places like the back of a closet is probably possible but a little more difficult than the garage ceiling where I installed mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment