Sunday, August 10, 2014

Edsal UR185L-BLK Black Steel Heavy Duty 5-Shelf Shelving Unit, 4000lbs Capacity, 36" Width x 7

Edsal UR185L-BLK Black Steel Heavy Duty 5-Shelf Shelving Unit, 4000lbs Capacity, 36' Width x 72' Height x 18' Depth
  • Standing five-shelf unit with a 16-gauge steel rack and shelves made of particle board to support an 800-lb. per shelf capacity anda 4000-lb. total capacity
  • Double-riveted beams lock into double-rivet holes on corner post for structural security
  • Corner post rivet holes are punched at 1-1/2" intervals for precise adjustment to shelf height
  • Two-piece post design for vertical assembly of a single 72" high unit, or for horizontal assembly of two 36" high units
  • Rivet lock design for boltless assembly, instructions included, rubber mallet recommended for assembly (sold separately)

I bought 2 of these units from Home Depot for my garage.

Pros:

1. Super easy to set-up (requires a rubber mallet but nothing else). One person assembly, took all of 15 minutes from start to finish. A 12 y/o could put these together no problem.

2. Incredibly stable w/ a rated weight limit of 4,000 lbs overall. (Other units really don't compare as they can only support 50 150lbs on average per shelf).

3. They easily hold 12 and/or 13 gallon storage bins between the shelves and they are adjustable for larger items.

4. Can be used as a workbench instead. The shelves can be split into two sections and placed side by side (2 shelves on one, 3 on the other)... using the top shelves as a workbench space. So basically you don't have to make it 72" tall, each can be 36" tall instead.

5. Can be drilled into studs for safety and support. No need to make a hole, just use the ones already created for the shelving. Recommend 1 3/4" screws with flat washers or anchor/screw kits that can support the weight.

6. They look really good!

Cons:

1. Price I bought these for $66from Home Depot (everyday price, not on sale). However, if you don't live near a local store I would still say these are worth the higher price as they are far superior than other shelving units out there.

2. Plastic feet provided, but they don't have levelers. The little feet are good for not scratching up the concrete/flooring, but they would be better if they leveled out the unit. I didn't see this as a huge problem though. I placed some cardboard under the one corner and managed to make it pretty stable.

-------------------------------

As an added tip, if you want these to have more of a cabinet look/feel (for keeping out dust, etc.).. you could do what I did. I covered them in heavy duty plastic sheeting (large roll) and used a construction-style zipper kit for both units... basically creating a zipper in the front to open/close the plastic. They sell the zipwall kits on here (2-pack for $6 $16 depending on style/brand. I chose the ZipWall HDAZ2 Heavy Duty Zipper Kit, 2-Pack sold here...and they worked fantastic and even came with the cutting knife). Plastic roll sheeting is easy to obtain for fairly cheap as well (Go large 10'+ for width..otherwise you'll be doing a lot of taping pieces together and more work than you should). By doing this you can now protect your shelved items and with a fraction of the cost that a storage shed-type structure would run you. Not to mention the pre-made sheds cannot support nearly the same amount of weight that these can. I'm female and assembled *both* units with the plastic wall kits and drilled them into the studs for stability... in about an hour.

It works great and looks great if done right. I suggest you get some wood sticks about 2' long... and secure them to each of the 4 corners on the top shelf (I used braces and drilled it into the wood sticks for stability). This way you can extend the plastic sheeting up over the sticks (as opposed to just the top shelf). It then allows you a couple of feet clearance for storing things on the top without any issues that the plastic will fall, etc.

-------------------------------

Also, I want to add .... people are complaining they don't think this can support 4,000 lbs. I admit I have not tested that yet... however I am storing 1000 lbs easily on these and with zero issues. Place 200-300 pounds on the bottom shelf first and you will find the unit becomes very stable. (I loaded the bottom with 24 can cases of formula I use), stacked about 12 cases total. Make sure you level out the feet as well with wood or cardboard for added stability!

Hope this helps.

Buy Edsal UR185L-BLK Black Steel Heavy Duty 5-Shelf Shelving Unit, 4000lbs Capacity, 36" Width x 7 Now

This shelving unit is great, I own a bath product business and needed a drying rack & somewhere safe for my things to sit on. You don't need any type of tools, but it was rather difficult assembling and locking the shelves into place. Be sure to have them all locked into place before continuing onto the next level. I plan on getting another shelf like this, does its job very well! Other then the fact of it being slightly difficult locking into place, all it needs it some elbow grease! Didn't take long to put together either! I will purchase again in the near future.

Read Best Reviews of Edsal UR185L-BLK Black Steel Heavy Duty 5-Shelf Shelving Unit, 4000lbs Capacity, 36" Width x 7 Here

I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to put together and how solid it was. You just need a malot or hammer to fully lock each shelf down. If using a hammer I recommend using a small towel as well so as to not mar the finish. If I had room enough I would get another one. Definitely would recommend.

Want Edsal UR185L-BLK Black Steel Heavy Duty 5-Shelf Shelving Unit, 4000lbs Capacity, 36" Width x 7 Discount?

I rate the shelving with four (4) stars because:

1) The particle board shelves got bang'd a bit before they got to me. Not really bad; however, they should have been protected.

2) Wow, how much can I say about the stink/smell emitted by the particle board. I am using them in a basement. My first attempt was to use them as is. Can't -the smell is way to offensive. I have had to wrap the particle board shelving in large garbage bags to stop the smell (caused headache). That seems to have worked. I may try sealing the shelving at some later date when I learn what paint will work.

3) Why not return them? The shelves are the best buy (price); the right size; have the load bearing; and have the rigidity that I want and need. All the other shelving I have considered lacks rigidity (they twist and wobble); won't hold the weight; and do not have the quality of materials that these shelves have.

4) Assembly is easy. I noticed in one review that there was an issue with bending pieces. I did not find this to be the case. The materials used by the manufacturer and the ease of assembly was the reason I purchased additional units (four shelving units to be exact).

5) I would recommend wearing "leather-palm" work-gloves to prevent metal cuts. A rubber mallet or a piece of wood 2x4 about one foot long will help in "properly" seating the pieces.

I needed more space for storage than provided by the shelves. I knew this before I ordered them. I ran boards from the end of one shelving unit to the end of a second unit. Then I put a sheet of plywood on top and have gotten more shelving space and different (larger) spacing between shelving.

Since the shelves are metal, and they are in a basement on concrete, I put, before loading the shelves, wood strips under the legs.

I believe that these shelves are an excellent buy at the price I paid for the quality I received!

Save 39% Off

Needed something to help me organize my garage. This definitely fit the bill. Great price & easy to assemble. It doesn't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment