Tuesday, September 9, 2014

8 Foot Wide x 4 Foot Tall Garage Storage Cabinet Kit with 8 Padded Storage Hooks and 2 Ladder Hooks

8 Foot Wide x 4 Foot Tall Garage Storage Cabinet Kit with 8 Padded Storage Hooks and 2 Ladder HooksA couple of the brackets came pre-rusted, but I used them anyway. The instructions are very minimal and don't state what size and type of material to buy to build the cabinets, only that the example used melamine. Since my cabinets would be strictly utility, I selected 1/2" plywood. The measurements provided for attaching the door hinges wouldn't work at all, and I wound up buying 1/4" plywood for the doors and setting the hinges by trial & error. The ten utility & ladder hooks weren't threaded far enough to use with 1/2" wood, so I had to extend the threads with my tap & die set (no way would they have worked with the 3/4" melamine available at Home Depot!).

Bottom line: Too much work for utility cabinets; I should have just bought some used kitchen cabinets and hung them on the garage wall. I need to get some additional brackets to support the center of the inside shelves lest they sag. NOTE: Plywood alone cost over $100 from Home Depot, that's in addition to the cost of the kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment