Monday, October 6, 2014

Gorilla Rack GRZ6-4824-5IMP 5-Shelf 48-by-24-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, Black

Gorilla Rack GRZ6-4824-5IMP 5-Shelf 48-by-24-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, BlackI had gorilla racks for many years and they were as good as new when I gave them away. Now I needed shelving again and got two of them. I really liked getting them delivered as Gorilla Racks are heavy.

There's a lot to like about Gorilla Racks. They're famously strong with a shipping weight per this unit size of 115 pounds and a 1,500 pound capacity per shelf (and 7,500 pound total capacity). There are no little parts. The rivets make it as simple as putting steel shelf frames on the legs and then putting heavy particle board shelves on the steel shelf frames. Everything fits in place.

If there's any weakness to Gorilla Racks, it's that the shelves are constructed of particle board. If particle board becomes wet, it self-deconstructs. But I don't forsee my shelves getting wet and my previous Racks never got wet. If there's any reason for your shelves to get wet, this isn't the shelving unit for you.

Note that now some new and quite cheap shelving units bearing the name Gorilla Rack have been introduced. You can tell those are not the same by looking at their shipping weight (usually around 30 pounds) and their load capacity. These newer units have compromised the Gorilla Rack name.

This Gorilla Rack can hold all sorts of storage containers, including this one: Rubbermaid 1172 ActionPacker Storage Box, 24-Gallon.

These shelves are very rugged, heavy, and well constructed. They fit together beautifully, with a nice, tight fit. They can be assembled as one tall unit or two side-by-side at working surface height.

Buy Gorilla Rack GRZ6-4824-5IMP 5-Shelf 48-by-24-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, Black Now

When our family suddenly went from three to five and I had to clear out the spare bedroom these racks were a lifesaver. Two good-sized tubs of Stuff fit on each shelf. Some of the tubs are heavy but the shelves have held up. (I am guessing about 50# per storage tub, so we are only putting 100 or at most 200# per shelf.) Some of our shelves are in the garage and the very strange wild mouse that lives out there did nibble on the particleboard shelf in one corner. Moisture can also affect the particleboard, there is a bit of warping on one sheet but just a little bit and only one shelf out of the four units. The steel pieces will probably last forever, six years in our garage has had no affect on the frames.

When I moved two racks from the garage upstairs to the sewing room it was hideous because the racks are held together by tension and trying to haul them around caused them to try to spring apart. This would not be as big a problem if you had two or more sturdy people moving them as opposed to one wimpy person like me, but I don't think they are really meant to be moved in one piece. (I think now it would have been quicker and easier to just disassemble the shelves rather than go through what I endured.)

I really like these for sturdiness. The assembly required someone more mechanically-minded and stronger than wimpy me so I am only giving these shelves four stars of five. Having said that, I am probably going to buy one and maybe two more of these as I organize the basement.

Read Best Reviews of Gorilla Rack GRZ6-4824-5IMP 5-Shelf 48-by-24-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, Black Here

Ordered 2 -"Gorilla" racks from these people and both racks weighing 110 lbs each were shipped to me UPS and both boxes got destroyed and were torn open in the corners. I finally got the chance to survey what is missing and 9 different pieces were absent from the cartons. Put one rack together and called the company and reported the missing 9 pcs which I was assured would be sent out the next day. This company is hell to do business with and their staff couldn't care less how inconvenienced you are. Beware of using this vendor for your shelving needs! It's now 5 weeks later and the still haven't sent me the correct parts! Beware of this vendor if you have a problem!

Want Gorilla Rack GRZ6-4824-5IMP 5-Shelf 48-by-24-by-72-Inch Shelving Unit, Black Discount?

I have two of these Gorilla Rack storage shelves in my garage. It's a seven foot space, so I have one 4 foot and one 3 foot wide. The 24" depth is perfect for the space.

Putting them together was quite easy, although I think it must be done with at least two people. My father held up the vertical supports, while I used a mallet to hammer in the horizontal ones. The rack is a little flimsy until all the pieces are put into place.

Once assembled, the rack feels very solid, and is perfect for medium-weight storage items.

Save 4% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment