Saturday, August 17, 2013

Edsal HC30127 Steel 7-Shelf Shelving Unit, 750 lb Capacity, 30" Width x 60" Height x 12&#

Edsal HC30127 Steel 7-Shelf Shelving Unit, 750 lb Capacity, 30' Width x 60' Height x 12' Depth
  • Standing seven-shelf unit made of steel to support a 107-lb. per shelf capacity and to support a 750-lb. total capacity
  • Lipped shelves can be installed with the lip facing downwards for a flat surface or with the lip facing upwards to create a tray with shallow edges for holding cans, books, and similar items
  • Corner post holes are punched at 1-1/2" intervals for precise adjustment to shelf height
  • Gray enamel finish resists corrosion
  • Nut and bolt assembly, instructions and nuts and bolts included, tools for assembly sold separately

This product is so bad it made me want to hurt someone.

If you want to test your relationship with someone, ask them to assemble this with you and see if you both survive it.

Cons:

It arrives bent and scraped all to hell.

It is 1 1/4" taller than advertised.

You have to bend it and damn near drill it to make the bolts fit.

Any money saved is eradicated by the hours of your life you will waste putting it together.

Is made in America and made me embarrassed for my country.

Pros:

It didn't give me cancer (as far as I know).

Buy Edsal HC30127 Steel 7-Shelf Shelving Unit, 750 lb Capacity, 30" Width x 60" Height x 12&# Now

Yes, this takes some time to assemble. Set aside a couple of hours for this. You'll want to be in a comfortable area and working on a hard, flat surface.

That said, it really isn't that difficult to put together. It's like a large erector set project. I've assembled three and have purchased two additional ones to help organize my storage room. If they are assembled properly, they are sturdy and I haven't any reason to think they wouldn't carry the advertised weight load of 750 pounds.

A FEW TIPS

* A magnetic Philips head ratcheting screwdriver and some needle nosed pliers (to hold the bolts) are a BIG help!

* Snap the plastic feet onto the bottom of the legs before you've assembled them. It's easier to do when they are still short.

* Lay two of the assembled legs on the floor and set the shelves at the desired spacing. I took the jars I wanted to store and counted how many holes tall they were on the legs. This left me with some extra space on the bottom shelves which was fine with me.

* Count holes on the legs when positioning shelves to make sure you haven't secured one or two corners of a shelf at a different level.

* Make SURE all of the shelves are facing the same direction. The back of the shelf has a hole on the edge. (No fun discovering this after all four corners are secured.)

* Only hand tighten the bolts. You want a little wiggle room to get the unit to level before you attach the braces. Even then, you'll just went to use hand tools as the areas you are working aren't large enough for power tools that might warp the unit.

* Add the final two legs to the shelf corners (counting holes) while the unit is still laying on the flat surface.

ABOUT BRACES

*To achieve the "X" on the back, you'll have to place 4 of the ends on a single bolt and screw hole on the back of one shelf. This works best if you lay the unit face down, rather than trying to hold the braces in place while you tighten the bolt.

*Stand the unit upright and check for level. Snug up all the bolts and screws and fix the braces into place following the picture on the box.

FEATURES I LIKE

* There are so many holes on the legs. This allows me to configure more than one unit in an "L" shape, adding more stability. I also have the option of bolting them into the wall to prevent any tipping.

* I like that the shelves are adjustable to suit my needs for storage space.

* The 12 inch depth of the shelves gives them a small footprint. The 30 inch length adds to this as well.

* The price is such that multiple units can be joined in many configurations.

NOT MY FAVORITE

* The tiny spaces to fit bolts and screws. It's not impossible, just a bit tedious and time-consuming. Not a deal-breaker for me, though.

Read Best Reviews of Edsal HC30127 Steel 7-Shelf Shelving Unit, 750 lb Capacity, 30" Width x 60" Height x 12&# Here

This shelf is rated on the box as 750lb capacity at failure. Given it's construction, I don't see how anyone could even aproach this number. My wife got this unit from Home depot, where it is also advertised as ~1700lb. I would be surprised if you could get 40lb on one of these shelves. They buckle and bow with nearly any load. Might work for TP or tissue box storage. Do a model number search, you will see it with two different ratings, both way off what it really is.

Want Edsal HC30127 Steel 7-Shelf Shelving Unit, 750 lb Capacity, 30" Width x 60" Height x 12&# Discount?

You know the disposable heavy duty foil pans? This thing is a second cousin to them. Recently, I tripped and was off balance and caught myself on the edge of a shelf. I didn't fall on the thing, just balanced myself. The shelf I had my hand on buckled, dumping everything on it into the floor. I feel that I could craft a comparable product with a roll of aluminum foil and 20 minutes.

Save 27% Off

First off, let me say I own the heavy duty Edsal shelving unit rated to 4,000 lb capacity and not this particular model. However, I notice many claiming this is rated to 1750 lbs or approximately thereabouts. If you read carefully, this model is *not* rated that high. It is rated to 750 lbs over all... meaning approximately 107 lbs per SHELF. This makes it comparable to a plastic shelving unit but in a steel finish. If you want heavy duty I would suggest trying the UR185L model instead. I imagine this piece would be great in a kitchen or basement for extra storage of light items (DVDs, etc). For heavy tools and bins (such as in a garage) I would think you might want to consider something stronger. In my opinion I would much quicker spend $26 on this than $50 on a plastic unit. You get more shelves and they hold just as much. Not to mention the steel will last longer and generally look better.

No comments:

Post a Comment