Sunday, December 8, 2013

Catskill Craftsmen Pie Safe with Single Door

Catskill Craftsmen Pie Safe with Single DoorBought this item in January of 2013. Don't recall if instructions called for a 2 person set-up, but I assembled it alone and it was no day at the beach. Had a good deal of trouble with the plastic inserts which were cut too thick. Ended up super gluing the door panels to the frame instead. Also had some difficulty with pre drilled holes not lining up perfectly.

Although the side and back panels are not made of fiberboard, they're not solid wood planks either. They are thin plywood layers glued together. Not the "solid wood" construction advertised. Hence, my opinion that as a build it yourself product it was over priced.

On the plus side, it's a good looking unit. The fully adjustable shelves are great, especially since I have varying sizes of food containers, and it's surprisingly roomy. I plan on applying some polyurethane to give it some sheen and make it easier to clean.

I bought this piece to store my dishes after my cheap and flimsy Ikea shelves collapsed and destroyed most of my dishware. (Apparently shelves storing fragile things are not the best thing to economize on. This should probably have been obvious.) This piece is made of solid, beautiful wood -so solid, in fact, that it's also very heavy. If you (like me) live alone in a fourth-floor walk-up, you might want to plan ahead and bribe a friend to help you carry it up the stairs. I had no problem assembling it with the minor exception of the panels on door; as the previous reviewer mentioned, you're supposed to wedge the panels into the door frame using little strips of plastic, and the little plastic strips keep falling out. I don't see this as much of a drawback, though, as the panels stay in just fine. You could also easily secure them with some wood glue if necessary. I oiled the wood with mineral oil at the manufacturer's recommendation, and it's beautiful; while you could certainly paint this piece, it looks fantastic on its own. And hey, no more problems with shelves collapsing or broken dishware. I expect to keep this around for a very long time.

Buy Catskill Craftsmen Pie Safe with Single Door Now

No comments:

Post a Comment