Monday, January 6, 2014

HyLoft 00720 36 in. Ceiling Mounted Shelf

HyLoft 00720 36- by 36-Inch Overhead Storage System, WhiteWell built quality product, Not that bad to install. A real space saver. Makes use of un-used ceiling area. Best garage storage system available if you don't want floor standing shelves and want to get everything off the floor in the garage or storage rooms.

Hyloft Jr is a quality product. I have installed about 10 of the full sized units and this is my first Jr. I just looked at the pictures on the website and I noticed that the first 2 pictures must be the old Jr. and the last few are the new one. The new Jr. is not built as solidly as the full sized. 3 things about it are inferior:

1. Installing the top bracket is more difficult since instead of installing a small bracket you have the bracket and the rod which are one piece now. Getting the first screw in is hard with the rod that keeps floating around as you turn the screw.

2. The square tube steal frame rods are not tubes but U rods instead, which make the whole loft less able to hold a load. They could greatly increase the rod strength by welding even a small steal plate in the center of the rod since this is the weakest point. Looks like the old design was a mini version of the full sized but this new model is not and will not handle half the load.

3. The Jr when fully extended drops lower than the full sized by about an inch or so. This is annoying since I have a full sized and a Jr side by side and they do not line up. Seems like this would be an easy thing for the manufacturer to do and something they would have thought about since they seem to be a pretty detail oriented company.

Overall a good product but not for really heavy loads its rated at 150 lbs which seems accurate. Its a shame since this could be made to handle twice the load, I bet the old Jr design could have done that. I am sure they changed it to save money but I would have paid $5 or $10 more just to have the heavy duty design. Since the old design was literally a mini full sized unit that was more what I was expecting. Maybe they could release a Heavy Duty version of the Jr. I would buy it.

Buy HyLoft 00720 36 in. Ceiling Mounted Shelf Now

Objective: Bought 3 36" overhead shelves to create additional garage storage for luggage, camping, and christmas decorations. If system worked well, expand to create an L shape above the garage door to provide even more storage.

When designning the layout and area where you want to install this, know where the ceiling beams (studs) are. Don't assume all the beams are the same length. While the beams are 2ft apart, some extended from the wall in different length, some were horizontal and some were vertical. In my case, the beams at the corner of the ceiling "fanned" out in a square". Moving further from the wall they were horizontal and went across the entire ceiling. The direction of the beam (north south vs east west) will dictate the direction of the shelving.

Bottom line is make sure the beams accomodate the design layout you are trying to achieve. And lastly, due to not knowing this earlier on, the installation took much longer than anticipated. As I had to relocate them to a different part of the garage ceiling. Tip: Drill in the (2) ceiling bolts ONLY when you have all the hangers as you like them and test fit the shelves and clearance. This was one thing I did correctly, otherwise it would have been a nightmare to relocate to a different spot. I also used screws rather than the provided nails to "loose" fit the hangers. It was much easier to install and in my case uninstall.

By the way, I got the 36" system and with 24" beams you think multiple shelves would fit next to each other in a continuos piece. they do not, there is about a 4"-6" gap. So I may have considered the 45" system if I had known that ahead of time.

As for the product it is OK. It is your standard shelving. The hangers are a little wabbly but will hold.

Read Best Reviews of HyLoft 00720 36 in. Ceiling Mounted Shelf Here

The overall product is good. Solid materials. The starting nails, however, aren't worth much. After hammering the start nails supplied in the shipment, the heads popped off after after a few hits. I resorted to some wood screws that I had from a previous project.

The first unit is going to the hardest to put up. Afterwords, the rest of the units go up fairly quickly because you know what you're doing and you get used to working on the ceiling.

Want HyLoft 00720 36 in. Ceiling Mounted Shelf Discount?

I purchased two of these storage systems. They fit together nicely. I was able to place several totes and other miscellaneous items on them. I am finally able to get both of my cars into the garage! Overall, I would recommend these to my friends. The only negative I can provide Not 100% satisfied with the stability of the support 'poles' that hang from the ceiling. The shelves tend to swing a little, but not a big deal.

Save 39% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment