Saturday, February 22, 2014

Rubbermaid 7083 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door Resin Storage Cabinet

Rubbermaid 7083 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door Resin Storage CabinetI decided to clean out the garage after being inspired by a friend who was doing the same. He ended up purchasing the Coleman series which is soo much nicer! The doors have actual hinges on them and they look better. I got the father's day special so for the money I can't complain. Except for the shipping. When I saw the box, I thought for sure these were smashed but they were just a little dented. Get ready to tap lightly with a soft hammer. The box says no tools, but don't believe it.Target had a lower price but I didn't want to pick them up. Target also carries the coleman. I'm saving you time and legwork. Spend 30% more and go with the coleman brand unless you have the money to go with Garage Tek look alikes. If I could do this again, I'd spend the 30% more.

Updated May 30, 2006 after owning for 2 years.

These are in my garage holding paint cans, auto cleaning supplies etc. I would not purchase these again and am looking for replacements. The sleves are now warped in the middle and smaller items fall or roll into the dip. If you are just storing rafts or lawn cushions you should be allright. If you have paint cans or heavier items, opt for metal shelving.

When I bought this cabinet I planned to use it outdoor to store my gardening tools and other stuffs like fertilizer and pesticide. Upon its arrival I discovered the unit wasn't exactly meant for outdoor use right out of the box.

The problem is that the cabinet top is not watertight. After one night of rain there was quite a bit of water inside the cabinet. After some trials and errors I ended up solving the problem by gluing (using silicon) a piece of corrugated vinyl roofing panel on top of the cabinet. This seems to work fines. The roofing panel costs about $7 each at Home Depot. You can cut the panel with a pair of scissors to the right size. Be sure to cut it a little bigger, about an inch or two on each side to give extra protection from heavy rains.

The other reviewer mentioned that the doors are not lined up. This can be fixed by putting shims under the four bottom corners of cabinet. You need to experiment with this. By putting shims under differ "legs" you'll notice the alignments of the doors change.

Another thing about this cabinet is the shelves inside have slots, meaning that if there is a spill on the top shelf the fluid will get the shelves below very quickly.

This cabinet does have some pros, however: reasonably priced, shelving included, good storage capacity, and able to hold heavy stuffs. Assembly was straight forward, although somewhat tedious.

This cabinet is OK if you are using it in your garage and have a perfectly flat floor. If I were to do it again I probably would spend another $60-$80 more and get a different unit.

Buy Rubbermaid 7083 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door Resin Storage Cabinet Now

I have owned three of these units for several years.

Two of them are in my unheated detached garage and one is in my basement.

I have used one for garden/lawn storage such a fertilizer, bug sprays, yard waste bags, plastic bags,

pails, tarps, extension cords, lawn sprinklers, coolers and assorted sports equipment for the grandkids.

The second one has been used for automotive related items such as our waterproof cartop carrier,

antifreeze, oil, windshield washer fluid, winter gloves, ice scrapers, snow brushes, well, you get my drift.

The third one is in the basement storing my Marine Corps gear and I have been very satisfied with it.

I have had absolutely no problem with using them in the garage or the basement.

They are in the same shape as when I received them.

Do keep in mind that these are not air-tight cabinets. If you need that type of storage unit look elsewhere.

Along with using the HyLoft 45-by-45-Inch Overhead Storage System #00540 my garage is MUCH MORE organized and I am MUCH LESS frustrated trying to find exactly what I need! I would recommend buying the cabinet for the uses as stated above. ~ The Boss

Read Best Reviews of Rubbermaid 7083 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door Resin Storage Cabinet Here

We ordered 2 of these for our basement. The second one went together much easier as we knew what we were doing. However, it took longer than the 15 minutes the directions said and also had to use a rubber mallet. The cabinets are perfect for basement storage. Would not want to use them outside, however, they are great for basement or garage storage. I plan on ordering another one. Holds lots of stuff behind closed doors!

Want Rubbermaid 7083 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door Resin Storage Cabinet Discount?

Like another reviewer, my Rubbermaid #7083 cabinet arrived in a somewhat disheveled box (torn open in one spot), but the contents were OK. Assembly was easy--like several other reviewers, I too found that using a heavy rubber mallet was more essential than optional to fit the pieces together. Be prepared to clean out lots of disk-shaped pieces of plastic from the hollow of the panels (normal by-products of the manufacturing process), unless you're content to let those waste pieces rattle inside the panels. Of course, once you have the cabinet assembled and filled with whatever you fill it with, it's not going to be moving--so you won't hear any rattles (except possibly in the door panels). If you can live with junk pieces inside the panels, that will save you several minutes during the assembly process.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase; I'm using the cabinet in my garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment