Saturday, February 8, 2014

simplehuman Cabinet Organizer

simplehuman Pull Out Cabinet Organizer, Stainless Steel, 20 InchI really liked the large drawer so I ordered some of the smaller drawers because they have dividers and I thought they would help keep smaller items organized. Unfortunately, the smaller drawers do not fully extend when pulled out, they only slide out about half way. This means that the items in the back half of the drawer are still inside the cabinet and right underneath the shelf above making it hard to see those items and hard to get them out of the cabinet without having to move the front items out of the way, defeats the purpose of having a slide out drawer!

Too bad because otherwise these are well-made, easy to install and very functional.

The 20" draw was distorted out of its "square" shape when I got it. Nothing that I couldn't twist back into shape, but it did give me doubts as to it's sturdiness. The wire could be as thick as the Lynk Pro draws and solve this issue. The tray is great because it helps the draw hold its shape and it's easily removable and washable or wipe able after spills. In the future I would get these for the cabinets that hold bottles and spill-ables but not for anything heavy like a mixer or tableware/dishes.

Also, the 9" draw does not pull out as far as the 20" or 14" ones. Don't know whether that's a design issue or whether the one I got was defective in some way.

Buy simplehuman Cabinet Organizer Now

So few pullout organizers have a liner to keep items from slipping through the bottom. Nice to know I didn't have to cobjob a couple of things together to get what was needed. Very sturdy, too, a bonus!

Read Best Reviews of simplehuman Cabinet Organizer Here

We got the medium size (14"x20"). It works fine. I like the ball-bearing slides. However, there are three things to note:

1: If you are attaching this to anything other than the bottom shelf, then you'll need to provide vertical stops (I just used a screw on either side of the cabinet, touching the shelf) on top of the shelf to prevent it from tipping when the rack is pulled all the way out.

2: Don't load this with cans. When I did and extended the shelf fully, the slides began to bow under the weight. They didn't permanently bend, but it is obvious, this thing is 'light duty'.

3: You actually lose shelf space by using this, since you have to account for the facing of the cabinets and how it protrudes into the shelf area (about an inch or so on either side). That becomes effectively un-useable once this is installed.

All that being said, this is a nice product that does what it says.

Want simplehuman Cabinet Organizer Discount?

I got this when I was cleaning out my pantry and realized I didn't want to have to crawl along the floor to pull things like my wok out from the back of the bottom shelf. I did a lot of looking, and was surprised that there was nothing under the $60 dollar mark for a simple 20 inch pull out shelf. I never searched before though, so that basically just shows my naivete. This looked like the best option for under $100 relatively decent wire rack, the right size, and the bonus of the liner.

I've uploaded pics so you can see just where the screws mount in it. Installation couldn't have been simpler. I got it set so the front was as far forward as I could put it without interfering with the cabinet doors when they closed, centered and squared inside by eye, very simple with just under half an inch free on each side. I marked the spots where the two front screws went, drilled pilot holes to simplify things, and then screwed in the screws. Once that was secured, I was able to pull it out some and drill the pilot holes and screw in the back. The longest part was getting out the cordless drill and screwdriver and putting them away again. Lining it up, drilling, and securing with the screws took about 90 seconds. I put the liner back in, and I was done.

It would only pull out about half way though which I assumed was the limit, since others have complained about the smaller units not pulling out far. But then I checked underneath and the lip I have on the bottom of the pantry area is high enough to interfere with one of the tracks, so it wouldn't fully extend. I can lift slightly and get it over, but I'm going to pull it out again and put some spacers under the front to help elevate that slightly to overcome the issue.

The tracks are really done well they're smooth, not loose and cheap, there's enough friction that it stops as soon as you let go, there's no free sliding at all. Moves easily even with my large wok and other things on it.

Having done a lot of searching at various stores here as well as online, I found nothing that comes anywhere near to this quality and function at this price point. Definitely worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment