Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Microwave shelf w Outlet Wood Color

Microwave shelf w Outlet Wood ColorWhen I received the box it said GLASS FRAGILE on the outside so I thought I had the wrong item because I didn't see any glass in the description. Well, upon opening and inspecting the pieces, I just gathered they put that warning on the front so the delivery company would be careful with it there was no glass. Anyway, came very well packed but upon inspecting each piece which I recommend doing I found some of the boards had small scuff marks on them but nothing so terrible that I felt the need to contact the company for replacement parts.

INSTRUCTIONS: 2 pages: 1 page listing all the pieces, screws, etc and 1 page showing four diagrams on how to put it together. I was a bit frustrated because there was no STEP 1, STEP 2, etc., but I found it was very easy to assemble. It did say DO NOT TIGHTEN ANY SCREWS UNTIL FULLY ASSEMBLED. And I think it best to follow this direction.

ASSEMBLY: I assembled the two sides first with the cross bars leaving the screws a little loose but not to the point where it was wobbly. When attaching the shelves, I started from the bottom and would tighten the screws as I went up. Worked very well. CAUTION: Do not try and over-tighten any screws. There is a chance the boards will start to split. I had this happen a couple of times but it was nothing horrible just a small crack underneath one of the shelves around the screw hole. Screwing them in as tight as you can get them is NOT needed, this is a very sturdy item and supports itself well. So be conservative. Everything went together very well: all holes lined up well, etc. The drawer is very easy to put together and slides in easily. Only downside to the drawer is that the bottom is made of 1/8 of an inch paper/cardboard so I don't expect to store anything very heavy in the drawer. Silverware, various lightweight kitchen utilities will be fine. Assembly took about an hour.

MISC DETAILS: 1) There are 3 grounded outlets but they are NOT 3-prong outlets they are 2 prong with one prong being longer than the other. The shelves are VERY sturdy and I plan to use the second shelf from the bottom to hold my small microwave. All three boards are the same laminate plywood/particle board which I would assume is not suited to use as a cutting board so use a cutting board on top if you plan on doing any food prep. The wheels on the bottom are lockable which is nice.

Overall I am very pleased with this. It's the perfect size for my small kitchen giving me more counter space and big, generous shelves. I took 1 star off for poor directions and for some of the boards being a little scuffed other than that I'd give it 5 stars. Very sturdy and attractive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment