Saturday, July 19, 2014

ClosetMaid 24-Inch Wide Laminate Pantry Cabinet

ClosetMaid Pantry Cabinet, WhiteThis would've been a 5 star review, right up until I finished attaching the doors...

The Good:

Very easy to assembly (accept the doors...) It job should take between 30-40 minutes

Nice finishing touches that you'd expect from Closetmaid (like covers for the exposed fasteners and a good bracket to secure the unit to the wall)

The Bad & the Ugly:

The doors leave a 3/4 of an inch gap down the middle. I thought I put the thing together wrong it looked so bad!

I corrected their bad design by putting two thin washers between the hinge and the side and replacing their screws with some slightly longer ones. I was really annoyed that a 30 min job turned into a couple hours of realizing I didn't mess the thing up, working out a solution, and rooting around for the right parts.

When assembling the doors, it was hard to support and screw them in a the same time. I used a couple of boxes to prop the door up while I screwed in the hinges.

this cabinet is sturdy and easy to assemble. but my main complaint is that there is about a 3/4 inch gap between the two doors which sorta defeats my purpose of having a clean linen closet as bugs could easily fly/crawl in the gap.

Buy ClosetMaid 24-Inch Wide Laminate Pantry Cabinet Now

Overall it seems like a pretty good budget pantry. Took about an hour to assemble but it's real sturdy with lots of room. No complaints, was exactly what I was looking for.

Read Best Reviews of ClosetMaid 24-Inch Wide Laminate Pantry Cabinet Here

My biggest and only issue with this cabinet is that the cabinet doors do not meet in the middle. There is a gap of almost half an inch that exposes the contents of the pantry. If you are storing the pantry in a closet or in a garage, this will probably not be a big deal for you...but I needed this for my kitchen and to have a strip of exposed pantry and canned good items, etc is not all what I was looking for, nor does it give the appearance of a well built cabinet. I called closetmaid to complain and they told me that this was how the cabinet was designed (excuse me???...that makes no sense) and that if you look carefully at the box you will see the gap between the cabinet doors (sure enough...she was right...but who is looking for that when you are purchasing the items???). I was simply told that I was more than welcome to return the product to Target...great, that's perfect now that I have spent all of this time putting it together. So alas, it has become a storage unit for my garage which is not at ALL what I had purchased it for.

If there had been no gaps between the cabinet doors I would have rated it a 4 or a 5. Yes it is particle board, yes it has a cardboard backing...but these things should be expected of a pantry at this price point. It is very sturdy and otherwise well made. I am just really bummed about the gap between the doors and Closetmaid's apparent lack of concern of their poor quality of craftmanship when it comes to cabinet doors. I will definitely think twice before buying another Closetmaid product. Their motto is definitely Buyer Beware!!

Want ClosetMaid 24-Inch Wide Laminate Pantry Cabinet Discount?

Easy to assemble. Everything fit perfectly. I think reviewers who had door issues don't realize the hinges are crucial. They have adjustable slots to get the doors to fit exactly the way they should. I am 62 and only 5 ft tall and had no problem assembling, getting the doors on correctly and then moving it into position. Serves my purpose for extra food storage in an apt setting with limited storage. Great Value.....ClosetMaid Pantry Cabinet, Alder

No comments:

Post a Comment