Sunday, August 3, 2014

Corner Shelf

Corner ShelfBOTTOM LINE:

It is fine for a corner where a small decorative shelf can be used but won't be seen up close regularly. ABSOLUTELY would NOT recommend for anyone on the "serious" or "professional" end of interior design; the quality is just far too low to be acceptable. However, with that said, for those on a budget it is a decent looking shelf...just don't let people get too close to it and realize it HOLDS VERY LITTLE WEIGHT. Also, if you plan on regularly putting things on/taking things off of it, the hanging mechanism may become a concern as the shelf audibly knocks against the wall with the slightest touch. Keyhole mounts would have easily remedied this problem.

The quality is below cheap IKEA furniture. However, it *IS WOOD*. I don't know what the other reviewer was talking about heavy cardboard...it is clearly solid wood...just cheap, solid wood.

---------------------------------------

PROS:

-Nice modern look

CONS:

-Wall mount screws/nails are NOT included. Would it have really hurt them that much to include 2 nails? (Assembly screws ARE provided, but only enough to put the whole thing together, not to put it on the wall)

-Mounts to the wall via 2 "hang tabs" attached to the back of the TOP piece of wood only (similar to a light painting). It does NOT use keyhole sockets and does NOT come with the extra nails required to mount it to the wall (although the hang tabs do come preattached). Because of this hanging method, the amount of weight it can hold is severely limited....the shelf is already fragile but keyhole sockets on the top and bottom pieces of wood would have increased the weight this shelf could hold by 5x easily...

-Also, it is only attached to the wall at the very top so it can "swing" away from the wall easily. Minor point but to be considered if kids will bang into it or the like.

-Note the dimensions; it is quite small.

-The "wood" is VERY cheap and has BLEMISHES ALL OVER IT.

-The "paint" is entirely uneven (looks like it was literally hand painted in someones garage). There are large clumps of dried paint on the corners of nearly every piece.

-Instructions are incomplete. Although it is very simple to assemble there is one trick that is not included in the instructions (and is probably the only part that would need an instruction). If it helps anyone: The LARGE drill holes are where your screw HEADS should go (so they should be on the outside); line up the small parts.

-The image is tricky. LOOK CLOSELY. The center two shelves are CURVED NOT STRAIGHT. This ended up being a minor inconvenience to me (as it makes the already tiny shelf EVEN smaller, and I wanted a very "cube" image for my room). The image included is quite tricky and its not noticeable at a quick glance. I guess this was my own fault, but I still think a clearer image should be included...perhaps I will take one and submit it.

NEUTRAL:

-Kinda cheap at less than $20, but then again it looks like $5 of wood and stain made in someones garage so...

This shelf unit broke before it even got out of the bubble wrap. It appears to be make from heavy cardboard, and is shockingly flimsy.

Buy Corner Shelf Now

I fell in love with this shelf, then I read the reviews and was discouraged. I took a chance and ordered it anyways... I have added an image I took of my shelf (the one with the dollar bill next to it for size reference)...

Pros:

Looks VERY nice on the wall I like the look a lot!

Great accent shelf, and definitely more unique than most. Very modern.

Seems to be solid wood.

Cons:

When purchased I thought well, this is inexpensive great! Once I got it and saw how small it was, I decided it would probably be more reasonable at a price of approximately $9.99. If it were $9.99, I'd actually buy a couple more for the house.

Also in relation the the price being too high for what it is, I should mention that the screws are silver and there aren't any of those little plastic plugs, or even black stickers (like Ikea gives you). Again, another reason why I think the price is too much. I'll have to take a black sharpie and color the screws so they don't shout "silver."

Not great material. Cheaply made, although, if you are careful with it, I don't think it's really too noticeable once hanging. Just don't touch it! I'm afraid if I touch it, it might break!

Does not hold much weight.

Awful hanging mechanism and once you get it up you won't want to move it! But once it's up, it looks nice :-)

Neither pro nor con, but worth making note of:

Maybe it's just me, but I invisioned this being quite a bit larger. Fortunately for me, it worked out better being smaller (I was a little hesitant when ordering because I was afraid it might be too big for the spot where I wanted to put it). Definitely not! I have attached a photo with my review, and I taped a dollar bill on the wall next to it for size reference.

The color is listed as Espresso. To me, it looks black. I interpret Espresso as a very, very dark brown. I think it looks great in our black/white/red bedroom. I suppose if you have brown or wood/earth tones, it might "take on" those colors and not look quite as black.

Read Best Reviews of Corner Shelf Here

I thought this was really unique looking. But I wasn't impressed when it showed up. Cheaply made and broke when I tried putting it up. Not worth it at all.

Want Corner Shelf Discount?

This shelf isnt worth the money. I put it together, put 2 small items on it, and it broke in half 2 days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment