Wednesday, September 3, 2014

South Shore 5159730 Reveal Collection Bookcase, Chocolate

South Shore 5159730 Reveal Collection Bookcase, ChocolateI bought this bookshelf from another seller to match my South Shore City Life TV Stand. I love the asymmetric openings and it is the perfect size for my space. I like that it is made from environmentally friendly materials at a factory in Mexico (unlike so much other affordable furniture, which comes from China). This shelf feels solid and well made once it is assembled; I'm not afraid it is going to fall apart or fall over. It does come with a safety strap to attach it to your wall if that is a concern.

Assembly was fairly easyI did it by myself (with a little "help" from my 4 year old) in just about an hour and a half, but figuring out how to hammer the pieces together without damaging them was a little challenging at first. I used a regular hammer wrapped in a few layers of towel, but a rubber mallet probably would have worked better.

My biggest issue and the reason I only rated this three stars is that there were a number of manufacturing defects. All shipping materials were intact, but corners of the long boards were dinged and had small chunks missing, exposing bare wood; there were "dents" that had no exposed wood but are still very noticable; and the top and bottom boards were warped just enough to be difficult to attach. Trying to return this once it was unpacked would have been a nightmare, and fortunately none of the damaged corners ended up on the front side of the shelf so it looks great in my living room.

I found this on sale and paid just over $100 inluding tax and shipping. It is difficult to find a large 'modern' looking bookshelf in this price range, and I am happy with my purchase. If I had paid closer to the list price of $175 I would have been disappointed at having a less-than-perfect item.

Save 27% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment