Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Triple Wall Mount Media Cabinet w Adjustable Shelves in Oak Finish

Triple Wall Mount Media Cabinet w Adjustable Shelves in Oak FinishSo here's the deal: You, like me, want a single wall unit that will fit all of your games. You have a lot of games, and they are currently on a whole plethora of different racks. You want to consolidate into a single media storage unit, but you don't want to waste floor space. That's where this behemoth of a media storage rack comes in.

I couldn't, after weeks of research, find any other wall mountable rack that is this large or bigger. So I bought it, and put the sucker together, which is time consuming, but very easy. Obviously, it's all MDF, you're not going to get anything else at this price. But for what I paid, the shelves should be a little sturdier. The shelves on this unit are about 1/4" thick and bow. I am not impressed at all with this. My current floor standing units which are about 60% the capacity of this Venture Horizon, and were less than half the price, are made of dramatically sturdier MDF materials. I have a feeling these shelves will all be bowed down in permanent plastic deformation within a year. I will probably end up replacing them out at some point.

Also of note, which is the case with almost any wall mountable storage unit: the trim pieces on the vertical dividers cover up the outermost DVD/game. I have way too many video games to go around wasting valuable space with empty filler cases. I would lose 24 spots if I filled up every divider overlap! That's not worth it to me. It's not a terrible thing, but it's something to keep in mind if you want to be able to see every single case from an orthogonal viewing angle.

The superstructure of this unit is very sturdy and is held into place with pre-tapped screw and cam systems, along with a few wood screws. Keep in mind that the factory tolerances will not be perfect, and the further into assembly you progress, the fewer holes will line up. If you want to prevent splitting the MDF, I would recommend keeping a drill handy and pre-drilling the corrected holes.

Why the three stars you ask? Well, it looks pretty nice, the structure itself (excluding the flimsy shelves) is sturdy, and it's the biggest wall mountable shelf out there. But it has shortcomings. Just because it's the only option, doesn't make it the best one. If you're like me, you're stuck, and you buy this and you live with it. I have no regrets, I'm glad I bought it.

Save 17% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment