Thursday, January 23, 2014

Peerless AVL A/V Component Rack System, LARGE/00-00 (Black)

Peerless AVL A/V Component Rack System, LARGE/00-00I had seriously considered buying a Middle Atlantic rack for my in cabinet home theater equipment when this item caught my eye. It had all the features that I was looking for and cost quite a bit less than the similarly configured Middle Atlantic or other brands. I had good experience with other Peerless products in the past so I decided to try it out.

The delivery company (CEVA) did a good job of notifying me both when the cabinet arrived in their facility, when it was ready for delivery and even arranged for a Saturday home delivery. Very convenient.

Then it all went wrong...

While the driver called and arrived at the scheduled time (actually a little early) and the two guys proceeded to unload the box. First thing that I noticed was that the box was upside down in the truck and there was a gash in the cardboard. On further inspection we saw that the cover of the box was loose from the main carton. Next the scheduled weight of the box was supposed to be 166lbs. This is a large overstatement. One guy could easily move it and I was later able to pickup the unit to place it in my cabinet. I would say under 100lbs.

We removed the outside box in the truck and the rack it self appeared to be OK so I signed it off. The guys actually brought the rack down the stairs and into my house which was good.

I started to remove the accessory boxes and that is when I noticed that there was a pretty serious dent in the front right vertical support rail and a few paint scratches. It would appear that the box was removed at some point and placed back on but rotated so that when I looked where the gash in the cardboard box was, no damage appeared. In hindsight I should have inspected closer, but I was anxious to begin the long process of installing the cabinet and equipment as this was the day before Super Bowl and I wanted it done. One of the screws on the top corners had also been stripped out and was gone. I tried to replace with a screw that I had but it appears to be a metric thread.

I was more than a little surprised that there were no instructions of any sort in the packing. While assembly is very straightforward this was a surprise. Similarly there were no assembly instructions on the Peerless website, just a 3D drawing which was all that I needed, but some will find this confusing.

The cabinet itself is as described. It is well made and adequate for all the equipment that I wanted to install. The handles are robust and seriously impressive but the rack would not fit in cabinet with the handles installed. The depth dimensions that are provided on AMZN and Peerless do not account for this.

I am not unhappy with the product but very unhappy with the conditions under which it arrived at my doorstep. IF I wasn't under a crunch to get it installed I would have called and returned it, but didn't

This product is great! I ordered it but it didn't come on time. For some reason the delivery company didn't load it. When I got it, the packaging was good. It's sturdy and looks nice. It has grills to go on the front but I only used two of them because the grills covered my components.

Buy Peerless AVL A/V Component Rack System, LARGE/00-00 (Black) Now

First off, the product itself is nice. Sturdy construction, nice finish, looks nice. The only reasons I'm not giving it five stars is that it came delivered with a dent on the base (fortunately its on the back) and with as big as this is I'm not going through the trouble of returning it. Another reviewer had mentioned the lack of directions; it is fairly intuitive to put together, but would it really be too hard to insert a sheet of paper indicating what each part is for?

Read Best Reviews of Peerless AVL A/V Component Rack System, LARGE/00-00 (Black) Here

The rack is as solid as it looks. The reason I have given the rating is that while the rack came assembled other than the casters, the assembly was really poor. On the top of the rack two of the four screws securing the top to the frame were not screwed in properly. They are severely crooked and stick up more than a quarter inch. I cannot unscrew them to try to instal them properly . They are screwed in so tight that I am concerned that I will strip the top of the screw. Because of this the top is loose.

The provided equipment cord brackets are almost impossible to install.

Want Peerless AVL A/V Component Rack System, LARGE/00-00 (Black) Discount?

No comments:

Post a Comment